[Mac OS X TeX] landscape mode

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Feb 24 01:41:12 CET 2002

> Guys:
> I am sorry to be wasting your disk space with something that has -- I
> believe -- been discussed before, but as usual I realized a problem
> only when I faced it.
>
> The question is this: I have a slide document that starts
>
> \documentclass[landscape]{slides}
  \usepackage{hyperref}
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-----  try this, even if you don't use
                              any of the special features that
                              the  hyperref  package provides.

> However, when I typeset it with TeXShop (and iTeXMac, for that
> matter), the final output is vertical, with the obvious cropping of
> long equations, etc.
> I tried changing the page setup (within the program) and typesetting
> again, but unsurprisingly that changed nothing. I tried looking at
> the pdf file with Acrobat, again to find vertical slides.

The problem is that you need to rotate the paper,
not just change the shape of the typesetting rectangle.

With pdfTeX this means setting
  \pdfpageheight  and  \pdfpagewidth
to agree with the \paperheight and \paperwidth  parameters
(not the \textheight and \textwidth ).

BTW, the "Page Setup" is irrelevant, as this is not connected
to the coding inside the TeX source of your document
 --- though perhaps it could be; it would have to be done
carefully, to not conflict with coding from packages.

> Can anyone remind me how to fix this?

If simply loading  hyperref  isn't enough, then in LaTeX try:

\AtBeginDocument{\pdfpageheight=\paperheight
 \pdfpagewidth=\paperwidth}

In Plain TeX, just drop the \AtBeginDocument{....} wrapping.

> Thanks!

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> paolo

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.