[OS X TeX] Times, Math Pi, and MathTime...

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Wed Aug 7 15:14:34 CEST 2002

Le mercredi 7 août 2002, à 12:26 , Dave McCollum a écrit :

> I have converted all of my Type 1 fonts into both pfa and pfb formats,
> though I suspect that I only need the pfb versions. I understand where
> the fonts should be put, and I think I understand that I must run
> texhash after I set up everything (but I am not positive about this). I
> plan on putting the fonts in my ~/Library hierarchy.

Don't think texhash is needed anymore. Following advice for Gerben
Wierda I moved fonts and the like from ~/Library to
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local, so that they can be used by every
other account owner on my computer. As for MathTime fonts here's my file
hierarchy within /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local:

- in doc/latex/mathtime:
mathtime.dtx
mathtime.txt

(the file /Library/teTeX/share/texmf/doc/latex/mathtime/mathtime.dvi
>from standard teTeX documents an older version of the mathtime package);

- in fonts/type1/yandy/mathtime:
mtex.pfb
mtsy.pfb
rmtmi.pfb

(I only own the MathTime Basic fonts, not the MathTime Plus
complementary package with bold italic math etc.);

- in tex/latex/mathtime:
mathpi.sty
mathtime.sty
my1mtt.fd
my2mtt.fd
my3mtt.fd
omslby.fd
umh2.fd
umh2scr.fd
umh6.fd
umtms.fd

(since standard teTeX is setup for users with MathTime Plus fonts, I had
to get mathtime.dtx and mathtime.ins from CTAN, uncomment one or two
lines in the latter and compile it in order to recreate .sty and .fd
files appropriate for MathTime Basic fonts).

That's it for MathTime. And for Lucida Bright/NewMath and Lucida Expert
fonts (I own both font sets):

- in doc/latex/lucidabr:
lucidabr.dtx
lucidabr.txt

(these doc files are missing in standard teTeX);

- in fonts/type1/yandy/lubright:
lbd.pfb
lbdi.pfb
lbdsc.pfb
lbi.pfb
lbr.pfb
lbrsc.pfb
lbsl.pfb

- in fonts/type1/yandy/lucida:
lbc.pfb
lbh.pfb
lbki.pfb
lbkr.pfb
lbl.pfb
lbtb.pfb
lbtbo.pfb
lbto.pfb
lbtr.pfb

- in fonts/type1/yandy/lucidfax:
lfd.pfb
lfdi.pfb
lfi.pfb
lfr.pfb

- in fonts/type1/yandy/lucsans:
lsb.pfb
lsbi.pfb
lsd.pfb
lsdi.pfb
lsi.pfb
lsr.pfb
lstb.pfb
lstbo.pfb
lsto.pfb
lstr.pfb

- in fonts/type1/yandy/lumath:
lbma.pfb
lbmad.pfb
lbmd.pfb
lbmdi.pfb
lbmdo.pfb
lbme.pfb
lbmi.pfb
lbmo.pfb
lbmr.pfb
lbms.pfb
lbmsd.pfb

- in tex/plain/lucida:
lcdplain.tex

(this file necessary for using Lucida fonts with plain TeX is missing in
standard teTeX).

> My questions concern the fonts used with MathTime, i.e., Times,
> Helvetica, and others. In order to have a "complete" MathTime setup for
> teTeX and TeXShop, it seems that I need to also convert my Helvetica
> Type 1 font files, my Math Pi Type 1 fonts, and my Times family of
> fonts (I have the complete set, including small caps and OSF). From
> what I can tell, the afm and tfm files are already in place in teTeX,
> but teTeX lacks the Type 1 fonts.
>
> I am pretty sure I understand how to name the Lucida and MathTime
> fonts, and where to put them (under a yandy hierarchy, as I plan on
> using LY1 font encoding.
>
> Question 1: Is this a correct assessment?

No I don't think you need to do anything with Times, Helvetica and
Courier, teTeX/TeXShop seem to use the fonts included with Mac OS (or am
I mistaken)? You can do a simple test: typeset any LaTeX document with

\usepackage{times}

and verify whether the Times, Helvetica and Courier fonts are used for
text.

I can't be more specific than this, as I don't have the supplementary
Adobe fonts packages (MathPi, Times small caps etc.) that you mention.

> Question 2: There seems to be a Times directory under the yandy
> hierarchy for tfm files. Should I name my converted Times pfb files as
> listed there, or as listed in the adobe hierarchy?

These directory contains Y&Y's TeX 'n ANSI (LY1) metrics for the 35
usual PostScript fonts (Avant Garde, Times etc.). They are used if you
specify

\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}

Otherwise the PSNFSS metrics (with all this behemoth virtual fonts
artillery) in /Library/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/adobe are used. I
prefer LY1, which in my opinion gives fewer hyphenated lines and better
balanced lines (in terms of letters/white space ratio).

They are LY1 metrics for most (free or non-free) PostScript fonts
available for free at <http://www.YandY.com/ly1.htm>. You may have to
get LY1 metrics from there for your expert Adobe fonts.

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.