[Mac OS X TeX] what library do you prefer ?

laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Tue Jun 5 16:33:41 CEST 2001

>	I must echo Ross Moore's recommendation.  By all means create
>your own archive of tex inputs (or packages from CTAN not included in
>the standard teTeX distribution), but put them in the TDS format.
>
>In addition to Ross's reasons I offer the following:
>
>1) It works and it will ultimately translate into less work for you.
>
>2) By creating your own ~/texmf or ~/lib/texmf you can have one texmf
>tree (teTeX) that remains untouched for ease of upgrading and
>CMacTeX, teTeX, and TeXShop all work without any extra work!  (OzTeX
>is easily pointed to this location through its local configuration
>file as well.)
>
>CMacTeX expects a local texmf tree; one creates an alias to it in the
>application folder.
>
>TeXShop CANNOT read the TEXINPUTS environment variables suggested by
>Serafim so this solution is not helpful to TeXShop users.

Well you are almost right. Texshop is not actually designed to read the
TEXINPUTS envir variable declared in a .cshrc but it should read it if it
is declared inside a script (see altpdflatex...)

More generally everyone of you thinks in terms of long term UNIX user which
does not suit any (?) mac user. So I have to restate my problem

For newbies and average mac users, I have to put a quite TDS structure for
local and user texmf related files. I do not want to use the "local"
feature of TDS and leave my TeX distribution unchanged (as suggested above,
I want a drag and drop update: I put the old distribution to the trash and
I place the new one instead, well almost...) So the local and user
specifics will be on a more macish "(~)/Library/TeXMF\ Support" entry. But
we cannot expect the average mac user to read all the TDS doc to create
with the CLI the right folders inside.

So what are the useful subdirectories to place under the TDS root? I am
afraid  everything will frighten macintosh users...

Moreover we have to deal with the problem of fonts. TeX should be able to
use macintosh fonts stored in /Library/Fonts (TTF...). Should, not must...

        LAURENS Jerome
Analyse Appliquee & Optimisation      tel : (+33) (0)3 80 39 58 76
    9 Avenue Alain Savary             fax : (+33) (0)3 80 39 58 90
            BP 47870               courriel : laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
     F-21078 DIJON Cedex

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.