[Mac OS X TeX] footnote style question

Cyril Niklaus cyril.niklaus at bigfoot.com
Tue Aug 28 00:29:05 CEST 2001

<x-flowed iso-8859-1>
On Lundi, août 27, 2001, at 11:24 , Norman Gray wrote:

> The usenet group comp.text.tex is very high-quality.
> [1] http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=ftnsect
> [2] www.ctan.org, dante.ctan.org or cam.ctan.org
Thank you for the pointers! They'll prove usefull in the future no
doubt, as I'm always in need of some help running LaTeX.

> Or you could try hacking away by redefining \@footnotetext from the
> LaTeX source....

Unfortunately I do not have (yet?) sufficient knowledge of basic TeX
commands to do hacking of that sort, I'm afraid. Yet I've been given by
a friend this piece of code, which does exactly what I needed, except
for the fact it is somewhat clashes with my use of
\usepackage[francais]{babel}, which does seem to override the command
\setlength{\partopsep}{0pt}. I've decided to live with the larger spaces
between the footnotes francais is giving me, as I'd  rather concentrate
on finishing my MA.
Hope this can give others some ideas as to what can be done with
footnotes,
Cyril

%footnote style code provided by Toru Tomabechi
\makeatletter
\renewcommand\@makefntext[1]{%
   \setlength{\parindent}{0pt}%
   \begin{list}{}{%