[lucida] Use Lucida Type 1

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Fri Nov 4 00:00:50 CET 2022

> On 3 Nov 2022, at 22:32, Matthias Sch?tz <matthias-schuetz at outlook.de> wrote:
>
> I just bought Lucida Type 1 and want to use it with Overleaf.
>
> When I upload the zip-file I get this error message:
> LaTeX Error: File `lucidabr.sty' not found.
>
> What is the easiest way to run the example code in Overleaf?
> The instructions in your mail did not help me.

Hi,

I'm not an Overleaf user myself, but looking rapidly at their documentation

https://www.overleaf.com/learn

it doesn't look like you can install Type 1 fonts, you can only use those that are already in TeX Live.

Unless all files (not only .sty and .fd, but also .tfm, .vf, .map, .pfb) are searched in the current directory first. But I wouldn't bet on it, I assume some sort of updmap would need to be run, and I can't see how.

A more forward-looking solution would be to use the OpenType fonts with XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX. In that case the procedure is described at

https://www.overleaf.com/learn/latex/XeLaTeX#Using_fonts_not_installed_on_Overleaf.27s_servers:_Google_Fonts_example

Of course, there's the license issue. I have no idea whether the Lucida license allows uploads. In the likely case you're using Overleaf for collaboration, I imagine every collaborator should have an individual license at least. Or maybe you would need a site license. I really know close to nothing on legal aspects.

Bruno Voisin