[lucida] pending bug reports?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sat Apr 23 03:15:46 CEST 2022

> On 23 Apr 2022, at 00:48, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>
> Hi - we are hoping to make another update to the Lucida OpenType fonts
> in the near-ish future (a few weeks?). If you know of bugs or have
> characters you'd like to see added, just reply here, either to the list
> or to me.
>
> The best way to report bugs is to include both:
> 1) clear description of what you got vs. what you expected; and
> 2) a (La)TeX source file we can use to reproduce.

Hi Karl,

Something that came up on this list in August 2020 is that, in recent macOS versions, the monospaced Lucida fonts are not detected as such, while those in Latin Modern and TeX Gyre are. Specifically, they aren't put in the "Fixed Width" Smart Collection in the Font Book application.

Investigations continued later on the lucida-dev list in March 2021 revealed this is caused by the isFixedPitch attribute, which isn't set for them.

FontForge seems very picky in this respect, refusing to set it manually, only adding it automatically when all the glyphs in the font have exactly the same width.

As an experiment, I used ttx from the Python FontTools to manually set isFixedPitch to 1 in the POST and CFF resources. After doing that, the fonts are indeed recognized as Fixed Width in Font Book.

More testing then seemed to indicate it was the CFF resource that mattered, not the POST resource. But I wouldn't swear by it.

Bruno