[lucida] Lucida installation problem

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Aug 5 16:00:15 CEST 2017

Hi David,

> I thought it was easy, but it turned out there is a bug in the

Indeed, it was a bug on my side - funny that I myself stumble
over these items ...

**** technical digression to be ignored *********
double error: first was that while I was testing some new
features of tlmgr, I actually created links in /usr/local/bin,
so all the calls to updmap in Debian where actually carried out
in my local TL upstream installation in ~/tl/2017.
And in addition, also due to some testing, I had local configuration
files overriding the global ones (running updmap in old times).
One see, that even the author of all these features is not
safe from stupidity!
**** end of technical digression ******

> I wanted to write:

And this is correct, besides that you do not have to stick to the
naming of directories at the end (bh/lucida) as long as you
keep the top-level fonts dirs (texmf/fonts/{tfm,vf,type1} intact.

> * put the pfb files into
> 	/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bh/lucida
>   there should be files like lbkr.pfb lfr.pfb lbc.pfb etc
> * put the tfm files inot
> 	/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/bh/lucida
>   there should be files like hlhri8c.tfm etc
> * put the vf files into
> 	/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/vf/bh/lucida
>   there should be files like hlhri9d.vf etc
> * put the map file lucida.map into
> 	/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/
> * put the TeX files into
> 	/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucida/
>   there should be files like t1hlh.fd ed (all fd files)
>
> These are the files that come with the fonts.
>
> Then you should install the lucidabr or lucimatx package, the files should
> go into
> 	/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/lucidabr/
> (with lucidabr.sty etc)
> or into
> 	/usr/local/share/temxf/tex/latex/lucimatx/
> with lucimatx.sty
>
> After that run
> 	mktexlsr
> as root (with sudo or as root).

And in addition, run as root:
	updmap-sys
which should inform you that it used bsides other files also
	/usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg

> But then I tried it out, and it didn't work, neither with lucidabr nor
> with lucimatx ... :-(((

And when I cleaned up my mess, then I don't have any problems anymore
with both test files.

Thanks to all the reports on correct behaviour, my fault, very sorry!

All the best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer