[lucida] Lucida installation problem

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Fri Aug 4 15:57:14 CEST 2017

Hi Norbert,

> Anyone still using the Type1 fonts?

Yes, I do, and recently reconstructed my setup from scratch based on the lucidaot1 combined distribution (Type 1 + OpenType) from TUG. I also have lucimatx from purchasing the fonts from PCTeX a few years back.

Are there precise things you'd like me to test?

> But then I tried it out, and it didn't work, neither with lucidabr nor
> with lucimatx ... :-(((

Could you be more specific, what doesn't work aside from lucida-sample.tex?

> With lucida-sample.tex me too I am getting an error - that is strange:
> 	Font hlcrf8r is missing!
> That is I guess an error in the setup of lucidabr. That is the reason
>
> INterestingly there is the same error with lucimatx but a different font:
> 	Font hlsb8r is missing!

I'm not getting any of those.

That said:

- lucida-sample.tex is from 2006 and outdated. An updated version lucida-type1.tex from 2012 is available at

	http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/lucida-type1.tex
	http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/lucida-type1.pdf

which in particular includes useful tips regarding oldstyle numerals.

- Similarly TUG's Lucida svn (not publicly available) brought back lucidabr.txt which once was a useful part of the lucidabr doc, listing for example the package options and their precise meaning. At some point it got dropped (same with mathtime.txt for mathtime.sty), but the associated info was never included inside lucidabr.dtx, hence went missing. It seems to have been updated in 2014 and recently brought back to svn, but isn't yet included in the lucidaot1-tex.zip distribution.

None of the updated files are at CTAN either.

I've reported these issues to karl, but he has had his hands quite full in the past months with TL 2017, the TUG conf proceedings and probably much much more.

Apart from that, unfortunately I can't help with the Debian/Ubuntu stuff, being a Mac user to the bone.

Attached is the output with lucida-sample.tex and lucida-type1.tex on my setup.

Bruno