[lucida] Lucida installation problem

David Saunders david at symplectic.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 3 19:31:04 CEST 2017

On 03/08/17 17:11, Axel E. Retif wrote:
> [...]
>
> How did you install TeXLive 2017?
$ sudo perl install-tl

I didn't specify any directories at all, at any stage of the TeX Live
installation process.

> These are not the usual directories used by TeXLive. For example, I
> have (in Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2)
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2017
>
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> In the latter is where Lucida resides:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
>                                bibtex/
>                                doc/
>                                dvips/
>                                fonts/   <-- here
>                                ls-R
>                                      etc.
>
> Your texhash didn't detect any texmf-local directory. Where did you
> put all Lucida files.
>
> /usr/local/share is, I think, where TeXLive from Ubuntu repositories
> are installed.

$ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL
/usr/local/share/texmf

So that's where I've put the Lucida files. Certainly the instructions
suggest that "The default on Unix is /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local",
but that's not what my installation has created. If I put the Lucida
files in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local, presumably I'd need to change
TEXMFLOCAL?

>> $ sudo updmap-sys --force --enable Map=lucida.map
>
> But where did you put lucida.map?

$ kpsewhich lucida.map
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lucida.map

> [...]
>
>> $ tex testfont
>> This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2015/Debian) (preloaded
>> format=tex)
>> (/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/plain/knuth-lib/testfont.tex
>>
>> Name of the font to test = ecrm1095
>
> That is not a Lucida font. They are, for example.
>
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/local/bh/lucida/hlcbot8a.tfm
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/local/bh/lucida/hlcbot8c.tfm
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/local/bh/lucida/hlcbot8r.tfm
>                 ...            ...                  ...    ...
>
> That is, the TeX font metric names of the fonts.

Sorry, my mistake. I've just tried tex testfont again with hlcbot8a, and
that works. But pdftex testfont gives

[1{/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
!pdfTeX error: pdftex (file hlcbot8a): Font hlcbot8a at 600 not found
  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Maybe that's why I can't compile lucida-sample.tex with TeXworks/pdfLaTeX.

> If you installed previously the Ubuntu distribution of TeXLive and
> then TUG's TeXLive 2017, you don't have to uninstall the repository
> distribution, but just put the path of TUG's TeXLive at the beginning
> of your $PATH.

No, I have two machines. Each machine has a single installation of TeX
Live: the downloaded version on the ancient machine, and the TUG DVD on
the new machine. The file structures are the same on the two machines,
as far as I can see; but one works and the other doesn't.