[lucida] Lucida installation problem

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 18:11:50 CEST 2017

On 08/03/2017 09:28 AM, David Saunders wrote:

> Several years ago I bought a copy of Lucida from TUG, and have been
> using it happily in MikTeX. I now have a replacement laptop running Unix
> rather than Windows (the version is Lubuntu 16.04.2) and I now want to
> use Lucida on my new machine.
>
> I installed TeX Live from the TeX Collection 2017 DVD

[...]

> Here is the result of texhash and updmap-sys, followed by the output of
> testfont:
>
> **********
>
> $ sudo texhash
> texhash: Updating /usr/local/share/texmf/ls-R...
> texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R-TEXLIVEDIST...

How did you install TeXLive 2017? These are not the usual directories
used by TeXLive. For example, I have (in Ubuntu Mate 16.04.2)

/usr/local/texlive/2017

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

In the latter is where Lucida resides:

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
                                bibtex/
                                doc/
                                dvips/
                                fonts/   <-- here
                                ls-R
                                      etc.

Your texhash didn't detect any texmf-local directory. Where did you put
all Lucida files.

/usr/local/share is, I think, where TeXLive from Ubuntu repositories are
installed.

> $ sudo updmap-sys --force --enable Map=lucida.map

But where did you put lucida.map?

[...]

> $ tex testfont
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2015/Debian) (preloaded
> format=tex)
> (/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/plain/knuth-lib/testfont.tex
>
> Name of the font to test = ecrm1095

That is not a Lucida font. They are, for example.

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/local/bh/lucida/hlcbot8a.tfm
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/local/bh/lucida/hlcbot8c.tfm
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/tfm/local/bh/lucida/hlcbot8r.tfm

That is, the TeX font metric names of the fonts.

If you installed previously the Ubuntu distribution of TeXLive and then
TUG's TeXLive 2017, you don't have to uninstall the repository
distribution, but just put the path of TUG's TeXLive at the beginning of
your $PATH.

Best

Axel