[lucida] TeXShop installation of Lucida fonts

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Tue Feb 22 00:37:35 CET 2011

On  21 Feb, 2011, at 10:55, Lori Hughes wrote:

>> [...]
>
> I am fondly remembering the days of afm2tfm and the manually entering the necessary lines into the psfonts.map file...  : )   Keep the suggestions coming! I am persistent. We'll get it eventually.

Please avoid editing files manually, or, if you do, always make a backup first, as Karl suggested.

Before proceeding, please restore the original files or, at least, undo the editing.

>> In your Terminal the command
>>
>> 	open `kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL`
>>
>> should open said directory, right?
>
> I get
> Macintosh:~ lorihughes$ open 'kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL'
> The file /Users/lorihughes/kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL does not exist.

No, don't use the apostrophe or single quote ', but the grave accent or reversed prime ` that you find just below the ESC key in English keyboards (the one with the ~ as well) ---the command above is a short hand for ``the first command (open) operates on the result of the second command (kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL)''; that is,

	kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL
		/usr/local/texlive/2010/../texmf-local
	open /usr/local/texlive/2010/../texmf-local

>> Now ---what I would advise you to do is uninstall every Lucida file in ~/Library/texlive/2010/ ---*absolutely everything*: *.tfm, *.fd, *.sty, etc.--- and put all in
>>
>> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> I can't do this because I cannot find this /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local directory path.

You have it, but it's invisible. I'll tell you how to find it, but first let's forget what you have in your ~/Library, except for deleting *all* the Lucida files you installed in there (that is, if you want to follow my advice).

Now ---with the command

	Macintosh:~ lorihughes$ ls -a

what you did is look into your HOME directory, but /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local starts in the ROOT directory ( / ); with the command

	ls -al /

you will see, as the last four items,

   drwxr-xr-x@  67 root     wheel        2278 Jan  6 20:02 sbin
   lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root     wheel          11 Feb 22  2010 tmp -> private/tmp
   drwxr-xr-x@  15 root     wheel         510 Oct 28 21:28 usr
   lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root     wheel          11 Feb 22  2010 var -> private/var

all of them (and some others of the list), invisible to the Finder.

Now, to open /usr/local/texlive..., with the Finder active (that is, clicking on the Desktop or any other Finder window) click in the bar menu ``Go'' and select the menu ``Go to Folder...''; it will display a Go to folder field where you will type

	/usr/local/texlive

and click ``Go''. In the window that opens you'll see at least two directories: 2010 and texmf-local. You're free to inspect all you want, but please do not move or edit anything inside 2010; we will work only with texmf-local. Inside this directory you'll see this structure:

	bibtex
	dvips
	fonts
	ls-R		<- this is a file
	metapost
	scripts
	tex
	web2c

If you have already deleted *all* Lucida files you installed in your ~/Library..., you can now drag your lucida .zip file inside this texmf-local directory. As it is owned by root, it should ask you for your Administrator password.

Now, in your Terminal (replace ``lucida.zip'' for the actual name of the archive),

	cd /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
	sudo unzip lucida.zip

Check if the files have been unpackaged in the proper places; for example, inside fonts -> afm -> bh -> lucida you should see a bunch of *.afm files.

If so, then, again at your Terminal,

	sudo texhash
	sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees
	sudo updmap-sys

As you *already have* lucida.map in your updmap.cfg, this should be enough, but if it doesn't, then

	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map

Please, tell us if you have Lucida working now.

--------

One more thing ---I started my message asking you not to edit manually your texlive files, but obviously you are the adventurer type, and that's certainly good. So let me correct myself: you can experiment all you like ---after all, all you have to do in the worst case scenario is delete the texlive directory inside /usr/local and the texlive directory inside your ~/Library and install MacTeX again!

Please read the documentation inside /Applications/TeX

Best

Axel