[lucida] TeXShop installation of Lucida fonts

Lori Hughes hughesla at comcast.net
Tue Feb 22 04:35:19 CET 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 5:37 PM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> [...]
> the second command (kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL)''; that is,
>
> 	kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL
> 		/usr/local/texlive/2010/../texmf-local
> 	open /usr/local/texlive/2010/../texmf-local
>
>>> Now ---what I would advise you to do is uninstall every Lucida
>>> file in ~/Library/texlive/2010/ ---*absolutely everything*: *.tfm,
>>> *.fd, *.sty, etc.--- and put all in
>>>
>>> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>>
>> I can't do this because I cannot find this /usr/local/texlive/texmf-
>> local directory path.
>
> You have it, but it's invisible. I'll tell you how to find it, but
> first let's forget what you have in your ~/Library, except for
> deleting *all* the Lucida files you installed in there (that is, if
> you want to follow my advice).
>
> Now ---with the command
>
> 	Macintosh:~ lorihughes$ ls -a
>
> what you did is look into your HOME directory, but /usr/local/
> texlive/texmf-local starts in the ROOT directory ( / ); with the
> command
>
> 	ls -al /
>
> you will see, as the last four items,
>
>   drwxr-xr-x@  67 root     wheel        2278 Jan  6 20:02 sbin
>   lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root     wheel          11 Feb 22  2010 tmp ->
> private/tmp
>   drwxr-xr-x@  15 root     wheel         510 Oct 28 21:28 usr
>   lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root     wheel          11 Feb 22  2010 var ->
> private/var
>
> all of them (and some others of the list), invisible to the Finder.
>
> Now, to open /usr/local/texlive..., with the Finder active (that is,
> clicking on the Desktop or any other Finder window) click in the bar
> menu ``Go'' and select the menu ``Go to Folder...''; it will display
> a Go to folder field where you will type
>
> 	/usr/local/texlive
>
> and click ``Go''. In the window that opens you'll see at least two
> directories: 2010 and texmf-local. You're free to inspect all you
> want, but please do not move or edit anything inside 2010; we will
> work only with texmf-local. Inside this directory you'll see this
> structure:
>
> 	bibtex
> 	dvips
> 	fonts
> 	ls-R		<- this is a file
> 	metapost
> 	scripts
> 	tex
> 	web2c
>
> If you have already deleted *all* Lucida files you installed in your
> ~/Library..., you can now drag your lucida .zip file inside this
> texmf-local directory. As it is owned by root, it should ask you for
> your Administrator password.
>
> Now, in your Terminal (replace ``lucida.zip'' for the actual name of
> the archive),
>
> 	cd /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
> 	sudo unzip lucida.zip
>
> Check if the files have been unpackaged in the proper places; for
> example, inside fonts -> afm -> bh -> lucida you should see a bunch

texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2010/../texmf-local/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-config/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/ls-R...
texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-var/ls-R...
texhash: Done.

> 	sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees

updmap: This is updmap, version $Id: updmap 17423 2010-03-11 17:53:34Z
karl $
updmap: using transcript file `/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-var/web2c/
updmap.log'
updmap: initial config file is `/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-config/
web2c/updmap.cfg'
updmap: configuration (updmap.cfg) unchanged.

> 	sudo updmap-sys

runs a long list of map files, ends with
updmap: Done.

And now, lucida-sample.tex processes flawlessly. YAY!

A million thank yous!

Lori