[lucida] lstbo not installing under ATM

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Jan 27 02:31:22 CET 2006

We received a report from a user that installing Lucida Sans Typewriter
Bold Oblique (lstbo.pfb+pfm) fails to install under ATM ("font is not
valid"), apparently because the name is 32 chars long, and only 31 is
now accepted (despite documentation, standards, blah blah blah, the
usual).  At least in Windows 2000.  (All the other fonts are fine, and
TeX is fine.)

I tried just changing the /FontName in the files, but that didn't work.
Mike Prager (cc'd) saw the same oh-so-helpful error message when he
tried it out (he also sent in the original report, years ago).

>From poking around in old mail, etc., it seems Berthold may have created
variants of this font to work around the problem:
http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/yandytex/2004-January/000722.html

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever seen those variations, or has any
knowledge/insight about the problem?

Thanks,
Karl