[lucida] Lucida Bright Narrow?

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Wed Apr 19 22:35:25 CEST 2006

> I just installed lucida from the TUG in my miktex installation.
> Everything seems to be in proper order.
>
> I do have a length problem with a paper (page limitation) and can meet
> the allowed length with times. Lucida BR is wider as a font and hence I
> am one page over now. What about using Lucida BR Narrow? I see it is
> available out there, but doesn't seem to be included in the lucidabr style.

In a crunch, you could also horizontally scale the Lucida Bright fonts
by 5-20%, or whatever value you need and whch still looks acceptable.
Or scale the whole font, not just horizontally - the height of a 10pt
LucidaBright bears absolutely no resemblance to a 10pt Computer Modern
or Times anyway with the existing lucidabr.sty (which I feel is a bug).

You can easily scale the whole font by editing the .fd file(s), you may
want to use a new name for it. Horizontal scaling was similarly easy -
was it editing the dvips map file, or also the .fd file(s)? (Sorry can't
remember.) Something like this needed to be done for lucidabr.sty to
make the fixed-width font useful, but in the end I think I just used a
different font.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann			is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.