[luatex] Default Paper Size

Nasser M. Abbasi nma at 12000.org
Wed Apr 13 20:38:24 CEST 2022

I can't help with the command line, since I never used it.

But I always set the page size at installation right after

     sudo install-tl

Using the screen than comes up as shown here, in section 3.2.4 Options
little down the page:

https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#installation

Options customization:
  <P> use letter size instead of A4 by default: [ ]

This is how I always did it and it works for Lualatex also.

On 4/13/2022 1:16 PM, Troy Henderson wrote:
> I recently installed Fedora Linux on a computer, and several packages
> require that I have TeX Live installed through Fedora's package
> system/repositories.  However, the default paper size in this distribution
> of TeX Live 2021 is A4, and I would like to change it to Letter.
>
> The command "tlmgr paper letter" does not seem to affect LuaTeX
> (specifically, LuaLaTeX) and fails with the following output:
>
>> sudo tlmgr paper letter
> tlmgr: setting paper size for dvipdfmx to letter:
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/dvipdfmx/dvipdfmx.cfg
> tlmgr: setting paper size for dvips to letter:
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/dvips/config/config.ps
> tlmgr: setting paper size for pdftex to letter:
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/tex/generic/tex-ini-files/pdftexconfig.tex
> tlmgr: setting paper size for psutils to letter:
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/psutils/paper.cfg
> tlmgr: setting paper size for xdvi to letter:
> /usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/xdvi/XDvi
> tlmgr: An error has occurred. See above messages. Exiting.
>
> This is almost certainly a Fedora TeX Live packaging issue, and it could be
> resolved (I'm confident) by manually installing the binary TeX Live
> distribution directly from TUG (which I have done many times before).
> However, this is an undesirable solution because it may cause other
> packages (that depend on TeX Live) to be "confused" and also would result
> in twice the storage used (having side-by-side installations of TeX Live).
>
> My question is "how can I 'fix' this problem?".  Specifically, are either
> of the following possible:
>
>     - Is it possible to change the default paper size without having to use
>     tlmgr?  Does tlmgr call/execute a particular command that could possibly be
>     executed manually?
>     - Is it possible to set the default paper size for Lua(La)TeX from the
>     command line?  For example, "lualatex --defaultpapersize letter" (or
>     similar)?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Troy Henderson

--Nasser