[luatex] Accessing external Lua libraries

Faheem Mitha faheem at faheem.info
Wed Mar 24 17:52:36 CET 2021

Hi Luigi,

See below.

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 12:45 PM Andreas Matthias <andreas.matthias at gmail.com> wrote:
>       To access external Lua libraries I have the following settings in texmf.cnf:
>
>          LUAROCKS_PATH = ~/.luarocks/share/lua/5.3
>          LUAROCKS_CPATH= ~/.luarocks/lib/lua/5.3
>
>          LUAINPUTS = <default_path_here>//;$LUAROCKS_PATH//
>          CLUAINPUTS = <default_path_here>//;$LUAROCKS_CPATH//
>
>       Now I have access to files like:
>
>          ~/.luarocks/share/lua/5.3/?.lua
>          ~/.luarocks/lib/lua/5.3/?.so
>
>       But unfortunately I do not get access to `init.lua` files, i.e.:
>
>          ~/.luarocks/share/lua/5.3/?/init.lua
>
>       What should I do to access these files?
>
>       In addition I have a sneaking suspicion that
>
>          \directlua{
>              print(package.path)
>          }
>
>       displays the content of the environment variable $LUA_PATH, but not the
>       path that is actually accessible to luatex when using kpse settings.

I'm not completely sure I understand what your issue is, but you might
find https://ctan.org/pkg/luapackageloader of interest if you aren't
familiar with it already. The strategy it uses is described somewhere in
the LuaTeX manual I think, though right now I can't remember exactly
where.

Regards, Faheem Mitha