[luatex] Accessing external Lua libraries

Andreas Matthias andreas.matthias at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 12:44:40 CET 2021

To access external Lua libraries I have the following settings in texmf.cnf:

   LUAROCKS_PATH = ~/.luarocks/share/lua/5.3
   LUAROCKS_CPATH= ~/.luarocks/lib/lua/5.3

   LUAINPUTS = <default_path_here>//;$LUAROCKS_PATH//
   CLUAINPUTS = <default_path_here>//;$LUAROCKS_CPATH//

Now I have access to files like:

   ~/.luarocks/share/lua/5.3/?.lua
   ~/.luarocks/lib/lua/5.3/?.so

But unfortunately I do not get access to `init.lua` files, i.e.:

   ~/.luarocks/share/lua/5.3/?/init.lua

What should I do to access these files?

In addition I have a sneaking suspicion that

   \directlua{
       print(package.path)
   }

displays the content of the environment variable $LUA_PATH, but not the
path that is actually accessible to luatex when using kpse settings.
This is confusing.

Andreas