[luatex] Very recent breakage luatex85.sty and cmap.sty

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 14:15:32 CET 2021

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 12:31 PM Norbert Preining <norbert at preining.info>
wrote:

> Just to give a bit of background - but consider that I am not an expert
> here - the problem arose with Sphinx documentation, the default
> documentation system in Python, which generates code for html/pdf/...
> For generating pdf it uses xelatex and lualatex (AFAIS ... don't bite me
> if I am wrong) and there are some templates that generate the documents.

As both a TeX and Python user I can provide some more information, or at
least links.

https://docs.python.org/3/ states that it's generated using Sphinx 2.4.4.

https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/latex.html gives information about use
of xelatex and lualatex. There's a change in font handing in Sphinx 4.0.0.

https://readthedocs.org/ hosts automated document generation for Sphinx and
other systems. It's a major publisher of Sphinx documentation, which it
generates from source.

Here's some relevant URLs from Read The Docs.
https://docs.readthedocs.io/en/stable/guides/pdf-non-ascii-languages.html
https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/configuration.html#confval-latex_engine

Here's a suggestion. Create a simple Sphinx project, submit to ReadTheDocs,
and see if it builds correctly. Then, somehow, repeat the build with the
new TeXLive. This might help experts catch and fix problems before users
discover them.

I hope at least some of this helps.

with best regards

Jonathan