[luatex] lualatex cannot process paths containing a tilde (~) correctly

Matthias Deeg mail at md.sy.gs
Thu Nov 26 09:43:23 CET 2020

Hello everybody,

yesterday, I've stumbled upon the issue that lualatex or respectively
luahbtex cannot correctly process paths containing a tilde (~) which
results in not finding the given TeX file.

I have initially found this issue on a Windows system where short
Windows paths (8.3 format) containing ~ where used (e.g.
C:\Users\TEST_B~1\AppData\Local\Temp\report\report.tex).

This issue also occurs on Linux systems, as the following two examples
illustrate.

$ lualatex "/home/matt/reports/test~report/report.tex"
This is LuaHBTeX, Version 1.12.0 (TeX Live 2020/Arch Linux)
 restricted system commands enabled.
! I can't find file `/home/matt/reports/test'.
<to be read again>
\protect
<*> /home/matt/reports/test~
                         report/report.tex
(Press Enter to retry, or Control-D to exit)
Please type another input file name: