[luatex] luatex and minted

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 09:44:53 CET 2020

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 10:27, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 11:00 AM Robert Alessi <alessi at robertalessi.net>
> wrote:
>

>> This works, thank you!  Unfortunately, the following fails for the
>> same reason (namely ` instead of '):
>>

> Indeed, this is the reason why  it's still unclear if it's a lualatex
> issue or a luatex ( as in tl2020 ) issue.
> In luatex the code that raised the assert didn't change, but it's not
> enough to exclude wrong behaviour.
>
> --
> luigi

Luigi, shouldn't on the face of it an assert always be considered an issue
in the code raising the assert?
Marcel helped narrow this down to a plain tex example

\setbox0\hbox{"}
X-\unhbox0
\bye

which produces

This is LuaTeX, Version 1.12.0 (TeX Live 2020)
 restricted system commands enabled.
(./as.texassertion "is_simple_character(wordstart)" failed: file
web2c/luatexdir/lang/texlang.c", line 986, function: hnj_hyphenation
Aborted (core dumped)

I get the same in luatex 1.11.2  but it works in luatex 1.07.0

David

So I think it is definitely a luatex issue not in the tex or Lua code here.

David