[luatex] This is LuaHBTeX, Version 1.12.0 -- lualatex.fmt was written by luatex

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Wed Jun 24 21:55:49 CEST 2020

Hi Knut,

> After updating my openSuSE Tumbleweed system I found lualatex broken. "lualatex somefile" led to an error message:  LuaHBTeX, Version 1.12.0 complained that "lualatex.fmt was written by luatex".
>
> Removing lualatex.fmt did not fix the problem.

My guess is you have a format for luahbtex hanging around in below your
$HOME. If you would have shown the actual log file, one could see it.

> "fmtutil --all" did not fix the problem.

A sign of the above.

> Then I changed the lualtex entry in /etc/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf  to "lualatex lua*hb*tex language.dat,language.dat.lua lualatex.ini" and started "fmtutil --all" again. That fixed the problem, but I suspect that I only found a quick workaround.
>
> Is this a general TeXLive 2020 problem or an openSuSE bug?

Please report this to OpenSUSE. In TeX Live 2020 lualatex format is
based on luahbtex, but what OpenSUSE does I don't know.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev