[luatex] This is LuaHBTeX, Version 1.12.0 -- lualatex.fmt was written by luatex

Knut Petersen Knut_Petersen at t-online.de
Wed Jun 24 16:45:57 CEST 2020

Hi everybody!

After updating my openSuSE Tumbleweed system I found lualatex broken. "lualatex somefile" led to an error message:  LuaHBTeX, Version 1.12.0 complained that "lualatex.fmt was written by luatex".

Removing lualatex.fmt did not fix the problem.

"fmtutil --all" did not fix the problem.

Then I changed the lualtex entry in /etc/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf  to "lualatex lua*hb*tex language.dat,language.dat.lua lualatex.ini" and started "fmtutil --all" again. That fixed the problem, but I suspect that I only found a quick workaround.

Is this a general TeXLive 2020 problem or an openSuSE bug?

Knut