[luatex] Problems with LuaTeX 1.0.8

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Sun Feb 10 12:15:36 CET 2019

Hello all,

I think I have finally created a plain LuaTeX example, thanks to all who have helped me. I have run it with LuaTeX 1.0.7 and I believe a quite recent 1.0.9 version.

\hsize 3.8cm
\parindent 0pt
\emergencystretch=.1\hsize
\hyphenpenalty 0

At mid-century, Chicago was the “City of the Big Shoulders,”
the mightiest industrial city of them all. Thirty years later, in the ‘80s,
it was “Beirut by the Lake,” a troubled metropolis caught in economic decay
and torn by racial politics. Along the way it’s been the “Second City”
or the “City on the Make” or, as the first Mayor Daley had it,
“The City That Works,” a name that stuck even at a time when it
seemed the city stopped working.

\end

I have placed both images here:

https://imgur.com/a/QckYCAc

Not much difference in this case. Lines 9 and 10 are different. While this might be a small difference in the test case, it does have some non-trivial impacts in layout of existing, real world files.

I don't think that this has to do with Lua 5.2 -> 5.3 since the commit I've mentioned at experimental (https://github.com/speedata/LuaTeX/commit/f052b16ef73dee20289d11a217258d35e724a276) does not change the Lua version, does it?

Patrick