[luatex] latest round of updates to fontspec and related packages seems to disable ligatures in Opentype fonts

Philipp Gesang Philipp.Gesang at alumni.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed May 15 12:49:49 CEST 2013

Hi Mico!

···<date: 2013-05-14, Tuesday>···<from: Mico Loretan>···

> Greetings!
>
> I'm running MacTeX2013 pre-release, on a system running MacOSX 10.7.5. I've installed all the latest packages via tlmgr through this morning. The header line from the .log file says:
>
>      This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.76.0-2013051018 (rev 4627)  (format=lualatex 2013.5.12)
>
> Consider the following MWE; Garamond Premier Pro is a system font distributed with Macs:
>
>   \documentclass{article}
>   \usepackage{fontspec}
>   \setmainfont[Ligatures={Common,Rare}]{Garamond Premier Pro}
>   \begin{document}
>   off fit fly office baffle
>
>   act stab spoon
>   \end{document}
>
> Since running the latest round of updates on all packages, neither the "common" ligatures (see the words in the first line after \begin{document} nor the "rare" ligatures (the following line) are being produced any longer. This problem also occurs if I use the font "Sabon Next LT Pro Regular".
>
> In contrast, if I use the font "EB Garamond" (a "free" opentype
> font(), the common ligatures are generated but *not* the rare
> ones.

“rare” is fontspec for “dlig”, which in EB Garamond -- though
defined -- does nothing in the text you are testing with.

>       Finally, if I use "Latin Modern Roman", the common
> ligatures are also produced correctly; of course, Latin Modern
> doesn't feature "rare" ligatures, so I can't tell if the problem
> with rare ligatures not being produced extends to Latin Modern
> Roman...
>
> I've never experienced a problem like this before. Are there
> some font cache file I need to wipe out and rebuild, or is the
> problem seated at some deeper, darker level?

Yes. Your options include manually updating fontspec
https://github.com/wspr/fontspec or replacing
luaotfload-auxiliary.lua with this version:
https://raw.github.com/phi-gamma/luaotfload/master/luaotfload-auxiliary.lua

Btw. this is not a Luatex problem, so the Lualatex list would be
a more appropriate forum: http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/lualatex-dev

Thanks for testing
Philipp