[luatex] Package luamplib

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Jul 20 00:54:48 CEST 2012

In addition to all the emails about the Ubuntu/TeX Live topic
some words from me, the Debian TeX Live maintainer, and thus
the responsible also for Ubuntu, since Ubuntu only pulls from
Debian.

On Do, 19 Jul 2012, Dirk Laurie wrote:
> Can you believe it, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" released
> April 2012 ships with TeXLive 2009.

Yes, I was 1 month late, I know. If anyone would have stepped up
6 months earlier and offered a bit help in testing etc, it might
have worked out for 12.04, but alas, it still is a one-man-show
when it comes to the packaging.

On Do, 19 Jul 2012, Zvi Gilboa wrote:
> This is indeed embarrassing, however in my humble opinion, TeXLive
> should not be shipping with Ubuntu at all, as it is the source of many
> potential disasters.  One trivial example: suppose that you use a

That is rubbish, as Reinhard already explained in detail.

First of all let me one thing completely clear: I *honestly* believe
that *most* people whining about the TL2009 being so old have no
*actual* need for tl2012 or so, since the write normal LaTeX documents
that work even with TL2005. It is only their infinite upgraditis
or however it is called.

I, as the packager, still used for long time 2009 since all I do,
and that is *a*lot* (private, research), is done in LaTeX and works
all well with 2009.

Ok, end of the ranting. Going back to real.

> different TeX distribution, or simply opt for a "manual" installation of
> (the current version of) TeXLive, as many people (myself included)do.
> You might then decide to install a random TeX-related package -- be it
> an editor, a font, or anything else for that matter -- just to realize
> that Ubuntu thinks it should now install the whole TeX-system shebang
> for you...

As long as there is no disk space shortage, that is no problem as long
as you set up the PATH properly (as explained in the manual).

If there is a problem with diskspace you should create an equivs package,
as described on the web page tug.org/texlive/debian.html

So all settled, unless we assume that people are incapable of reading
the documentation.

Best wishes

Norbert
DUGGLEBY (n.)
The person in front of you in the supermarket queue who has just
unloaded a bulging trolley on to the conveyor belt and is now in the
process of trying to work out which pocket they left their cheque book
in, and indeed which pair of trousers.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff