[luatex] accented characters in plain luatex

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue May 31 15:58:13 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, May 31, 2011 09:14:13 am Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Tue, 31 May 2011 08:50:11 -0400 schrieb John Culleton:
> > Thanks Taco. In any plain version, pdftex or luatex, I will be using 7t
> > from now on in, and 8t for LaTeX variants.
>
> In 7t the accented chars are build by putting an accent over a char.
> So you won't be able to copy and paste the characters in the pdf,
> instead you will get something like this "`a ´a".
>
> I would prefer the 8t-variant. Quite a lot accented chars can be
> writen directly, and for others you can try the acmacros.sty from
> the ec-plain package:
>
> \input acmacros.sty
>
> \font\test= pplr8t
>
> \test áà éè \`a \'a
>
> \bye

To each his own. I don't edit pdfs directly. And I find that modifying my
keyboard and typing accented characters is more trouble than typing e.g.,
\'u now and then in TeX. At one time when I was fooling with Irish I had my
keyboard set up to type acute accents over certain vowels but I am some
years past that activity.

Those involved with non-English languages on a regular basis will of course
have other needs. For my current use the traditional TeX notation is
perfectly adequate. In my current project there is only one accented word
and I was able to add accents through a Gvim mass change to that word:
:%s/Mukipha/M\\'uki\\`pha/

 The accents are centered more precisely using luatex than they are in the
author's original doc file---which will surprise no one here I suspect. And
the accented letter p is sufficiently odd that it might be difficult to
type directly even from a modified keyboard.

Thanks to all who commented.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press