[luatex] accented characters in plain luatex

Ulrike Fischer luatex at nililand.de
Tue May 31 16:04:28 CEST 2011

Am Tue, 31 May 2011 09:58:13 -0400 schrieb John Culleton:

>> In 7t the accented chars are build by putting an accent over a char.
>> So you won't be able to copy and paste the characters in the pdf,
>> instead you will get something like this "`a ´a".
>>
>> I would prefer the 8t-variant. Quite a lot accented chars can be
>> writen directly, and for others you can try the acmacros.sty from
>> the ec-plain package:
>>
>> \input acmacros.sty
>>
>> \font\test= pplr8t
>>
>> \test áà éè \`a \'a
>>
>> \bye
>
> To each his own. I don't edit pdfs directly.

I didn't wrote about editing a pdf but copy & paste from the pdf. Do
you never mark text in your pdf viewer and copy/paste it e.g. to
your editor? Do you never search for a word in your pdfs? Write café
in your document with the pplr7t and then try to copy or find it in
the pdf. Then load the acmacros.sty and change to pplr8t and then
try again.

--
Ulrike Fischer