[lltx] LuaLaTeX and the unicode-math package

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed May 16 14:20:11 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:32:37AM +0200, Andrea del Monaco wrote:
> Hi to you all guys!
> I have theese questione for you.
> I'm using LuaLaTeX with unicode-math and I'd like to do the following:
>
> 1) definig new math alphabet (something else then \mathbbit, maybe something
> like \mathbbbf - that is bold upright blackcoard - perhaps).
> I was tempted of using the primitive \DeclareMathAlphabet... but I do not know
> how to use it!

\DeclareMathAlphabet is broken with unicode-math package, depending on
how your fonts for the new alphabet are setup, it might be possible to
do it with some low level trickery.

> 2) modifying some ranges (for example I just want to use XTIS Math's latin
> alphabet but with Asana Math's greek alphabet).
> I can't do that using only the declaration
> \setmathfont[range=greek]{Asana-Math.otf}
> because otherwise it will take so much time...

There is no such option, you have to list all alphabets manually:

  range={\mathup/{greek,Greek}, \mathit/{greek,Greek}}

> 3) creating a virtual font (I couldn't find anything in the reference...)

Regular virtual fonts are not LuaTeX specfic, you have to create a vpl
file, covert it to vf and tfm files, edit map files and all the headache
of installing legacy TeX fonts. It is possible to create them on the fly
with LuaTeX, but I don't know how myself.

> 4) accessing a single char of a font and math-tex-printing it (I couldn't found
> any Lua function in the reference manual to doing this... just the glyph table
> that handles everything but the char itself as a letter).

I don't understand the question, can you elaborate on what you want to
do? If you are looking for the equivalent of \char in math mode, it is
\Umathchar.