[lltx] lmodern loading in format

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Wed May 25 21:03:57 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm giving an introductory course on LaTeX again this year, and of corse
I tell the participants how great luaLaTeX is, first of all (for me)
because of utf8 support etc. Then, they try it and are disappointed
because they see no umlauts or any other letters with diacritics in
their first document.
In my opinion, it doesn't feel right to have to load a package
(fontspec, as it loads lmodern) just to see diacritics on latin letters
– so I wanted to ask, if it might be possible to consider loading the
lmodern OpenType font by default instead of falling back to cmr? The
benefits are quite clear, I guess, however, it would crucially change
the behaviour of the format … so – any comments on this?

cheers
Arno