[latexrefman] This differs from word processing,

Hefferon, Jim S. jhefferon at smcvt.edu
Wed Sep 1 12:51:17 CEST 2021

Sorry, busy around here.  Thank you for the prompt.

For the context, here is the whole paragraph, in the section on Line Breaking.

> A common workflow is to get a final version of the document content before taking a final pass through and considering line breaks (and page breaks). This differs from word processing, where you are formatting text as you input it. Putting these off until the end prevents a lot of fiddling with breaks that will change anyway.

I think it is correct, as it stands, and that it makes a point that is worth making.  In LaTeX there are often last-pass changes that an author does.  This does, in my experience, differ from workflows of typical authors in, say, Word.  In addition, the concept of not formatting as you write is new to many people.  (I'll also mention that at least in English, a person would not refer to LaTeX as a word processor since it does not fold in the editing, the string-pushing.)

Regards,
Jim

Doesn’t it feel like the dystopian future we deserve? Like in a decade everyone will make their living by steering colorful blob-like creatures around to acquire coins in a virtual world, but ownership of the colorful blob-like virtual creatures will be concentrated among a hereditary elite of people who, like, bought Dogecoin in 2014, and in order to scrape together enough to live on you will need to indenture yourself to a member of that elite, steering their blob-like virtual creatures around to earn coins for them and getting a few crumbs for yourself. And you’ll work 16-hour days in the Smooth Love Potions mines just to feed your children, but every once in a while in a rare free moment you will stop and ask yourself “wait why do our overlords want all these Smooth Love Potions anyway?”  --Matt Levine