[latexrefman] --file-line-errror

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:57:50 CEST 2020

Salut,

Concerning this option, I would like to mention that MiKTeX has it ---
at least from version MiKTEX-pdfTeX 2.9.6668 (1.40.19). So the
statement that only TL has it is partly incorrect.

I also tried this :

pdftex --shell-escape "\write18{dir}\bye"

on my MSWindows10 old machine, and it worked. So this version of
MiKTeX also has --shell-escape.

Also, it might be worth mentioning that error produced before the
first file input will have the tradictional style, so

pdflatex --interaction=nonstopmode --file-line-error
'\documentclass{minimal}\begin{document}\errmessage{Foirage}Salut\end{document}'

Will have in the log

! Foirage

Also, for the jobname, w/o the jobname cli option, this is the 1st
\input explicit or *implicit*. Ie. the command above make a jobname
equal to «minimal» because \documentclass implicitely under the hood
calls minimal.cls and this is the first call to \input.

If everybody is happy with the above, I will propose some addendum to
the French version and send a pointer to the diff so that somebody
better at English than I am can translate it.