[latexrefman-discuss] Using the right single quote at domain.hid{'} in text mode produces a different character (apostrophe)

Vincent Belaïche vincent.belaiche at domain.hid
Mon Feb 22 10:04:50 CET 2016

Hello Johannes,

Thank you for pointing that \textquotedoubleright had a single ', I have
just fixed it.

I agree for the Math symbol, we should not go into detail, and rather
add a pointer to the Text Symbols node/anchor to \textquoteright. I will
do that if everybody agrees.

But then, concerning what we say there, currrently we have just this
text:

    @item \textquoteright @r{(or @code{'})}
    @cindex right quote, single
    @cindex single right quote
    Single right quote: '.

I am not sure where it would end if we go into describing all the local
specific stuff. For instance, in French `` and '' keep their original
meaning as sometimes English quotes may be used, so we have \og and \fg
macros (both in `babel/frenchb' and in `e-french/french' packages, or
« >> » are available in `e-french/french' package.

Maybe there is a need for nodes specific to German, French, etc...

Anyway, I have tried your example, and as far as I can see ' and
’%U+2019 produce the same glyph (see attachment).

   Vincent.

PS: \og and \fg stand for « ouvrez les guillemets » and « fermez les
guillemets »