[latexrefman-discuss] Using the right single quote at domain.hid{'} in text mode produces a different character (apostrophe)

Johannes Böttcher johannesbottcher at domain.hid
Mon Feb 22 10:46:03 CET 2016

On 02/22/2016 10:04 AM, Vincent Belaïche wrote:

> Maybe there is a need for nodes specific to German, French, etc...

That would be a bit heavy, especially when other scripts come to play. I
think babel handles quotes quite good, with csquotes nothing can go
wrong. babel functionality is not (yet) part of the LaTeX kernel.

> Anyway, I have tried your example, and as far as I can see ' and
> ’%U+2019 produce the same glyph (see attachment).

Exactly. In german typography we have 99(bottom) 66(top) quotes, and
equally 9(bottom) and 6(top) single quotes. With csquotes and semantic
markup, you get the correct quotes. Maybe i overlooked the correct
unicode point though.