[l2h] I'd like a way to have four Greek words displayed in a .html file produced by LaTeX2HTML without too much space between adjacent Greek letters.

Pat Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 14 22:38:47 CET 2013

Hello, Lucio Chiappetti.  Sorry, some of my writing was apparently
wrong.---It now appears to me that you may have directly edited the
HyperText Markup Language (HTML or html) source code to input Cyrillic
letters in a .html file.  Thanks for very kindly taking some time to offer
me your suggestion on how to input a Greek word into a .html document using
the program LaTeX2HTML executing on a .tex file.  After trying what you
suggested, in the .html ouput file of LaTeX2HTML I saw something close to

html chrono s chronos

with the pronunciation "chronos" instead in Greek letters with that
pronunciation.  The space between the second "o" the Greek equivalent
varsigma of my "s" might have been slightly smaller than the full blank
space shown above.  And I had commented out with a % at the beginning of
each of such lines the lines \usepackage[mathletters]{ucs} and
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}  .

So still with those lines commented out I tried the following command in my
.tex file:

\begin{rawhtml}χρονος\end{rawhtml}

at the position where I wanted the Greek word pronounced "chronos" or
"kronos" to appear.  And, as usual, I performed the following series of
program executions on my test, .tex file, this time with the file name of
Throwaway24.tex:

latex Throwaway24.tex
bibtex Throwaway24.aux
latex Throwaway24.tex
latex Throwaway24.tex
latex2html ......................... Throwaway24.tex
latex2html ......................... Throwaway24.tex

, in which the latex2html command was a lengthy command.  And this time
gratefully I saw the Greek equivalent of the pronunciation "chronos" or
"kronos" in the output file Throwaway24.html produced by LaTeX2HTML,
gratefully just what I wanted!  So thanks very much, Lucio, for kindly
taking the time to make your suggestion to me!  I had the same, desired
output for the commands "latex2html ....-html_version3.2,math.......
Throwaway24.tex" and  "latex2html ....-html_version4.0,math,unicode.......
Throwaway24.tex".  So contrary to what I may have been thinking, the
inclusion of the word "unicode" in the "latex2html....... .tex" command
appeared to not be necessary; and furthermore either version 3.2 or 4.0 of
HTML was apparently acceptable for the purpose of having a Greek word appear
in the ouput, .html file.

To input two Greek words with a space between them I found two methods which
worked:

Method 1:
\begin{rawhtml}&#x.....;&#x.......;.............................&#x......;
\end{rawhtml}
\begin{rawhtml}χρονος\end{rawhtml}

, where the dots indicate Unicode hexadecimal codes for the first Greek
word; and there is one space between the above two pairs of \begin{rawhtml}
and \end{rawhtml} commands; that space separated the two Greek words.

Method 2:

\begin{rawhtml}&#x.....;&#x.......;.............................&#x......;
χρονος\end{rawhtml}
.
In method 2 I had the space separating the sets of hexadecimal codes for
each of the two Greek words within just one pair of \begin{rawhtml} and
\end{rawhtml} commands.

Comparing just two of the three successful methods discussed in this
"thread," I like this way of producing the Greek words in the .html file
using LaTeX2HTML with the hexadecimal codes in the .tex file better than
manually inputting the hexadecimal codes for the Greek letters directly into
the source code for the HTML document itself using the text editor Kate.  In
the former method I can input the Greek words once in the .tex file and have
those Greek words appear in numerous executions of LaTeX2HTML on the .tex
file as I make changes to other parts of the .tex file.

Thanks again to both of you, Nasser M. Abbasi and Lucio Chiappetti, for very
kindly providing me with your ideas on how to solve this problem.  Each of
you kindly provided ideas which ultimately led to successful results in
inputting a Greek word into a .html file.  I appreciate people like both of
you who are willing to help other people!  Thanks for your kindly provided
knowledge and suggestions to me, Nasser M. Abbasi and Lucio Chiappetti!

Pat