[l2h] html.sty and the Harvard style

Jean-Pierre Chrétien jeanpierre.chretien at free.fr
Sun May 22 09:46:02 CEST 2011

Peter Flynn a écrit :
> This is not a LaTeX2HTML question, but I'm hoping I might be able to tap
> the expertise of LaTeX2HTML users or maintainers in respect of a missing
> macro in html.sty
>
> It appears that LaTeX2HTML's html.sty gets borrowed by harvard.sty in
> LaTeX, and that when loaded with pdflatex, it then gags on the
> BIBTeX-generated \harvardurl macro in the .bbl file (regardless of the
> .bst: kluwer, dcu, agsm, etc) because it's looking for a starred version of
> \htmladdnormallink* which does not exist in the distributed html.sty
>
> Does anyone out there know what \htmladdnormallink* might be expected to
> do?

As far as I see, in html.sty:

  \def\htmladdnormallink#1#2{\href{#2}{#1}}

in harvard.sty:

\IfFileExists{html.sty}{\RequirePackage{html}
\newcommand{\harvardurl}[1]{\htmladdnormallink*{\textbf{URL:} \textit{##1}}{##1}}
}{
\newcommand{\harvardurl}[1]{\textbf{URL:} \textit{##1}}
}

Two args in html.sty, only one in harvard.sty, seems that the starred version
does not make a difference between anchor and link, and adds the string URL:
before the link.

So

\def\htmladdnormallink*#1{\href{#1}}

could maybe do the trick.
Another way would be to fall back to the command not using html.sty with:

\def\htmladdnormallink*#1{}

This said, I remember having cursed a lot of time this harvard.sty package,
which seems buggy and unmaintained for years, I went to natbib (very flexible
package) with relief. natbib is easy to manage with LyX, which is my preferred
interface to LaTeX.

--
Jean-Pierre