[l2h] Sections and labels

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Feb 12 07:21:06 CET 2009

Hi Mercado,

On 12/02/2009, at 12:46 PM, mercado wrote:

> I am creating a document using LaTeX and LaTeX2HTML, and I am unsure
> how to use the \section command and the \label command together.
>
> If I use the \label command before the \section command, then my link
> doesn't go to the right page.  If I use the \section command before
> the \label command, then I get strange markup with a <br /> tag within
> the <h1> tag:

> ----------
> <H1><A NAME="SECTION00020000000000000000"></A>
> <A NAME="Page-B"></A>
> <BR>
>
> Page B
> </H1>
> ----------
>
> Is this a bug is LaTeX2HTML?

No -- this is by design!
It ensures that the target anchor is above the actual title,
so that when you jump to the anchor you see the title at the top
of the page.

Before CSS rules, this used to be the only way to get the
desired result upon hyperlinking to the target.

I suppose an alternative would be to put the targets above
the <H1> but that was rather hard to program, with the
page-splitting algorithm.

How would you expect it to be?
And does it actually work properly with such HTML coding?

> I am including a small, self-contained
> sample below.
>
> I am using LaTeX2HTML version 2002-2-1 (1.71).
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

PS.
sorry, I didn't look closely enough before my previous reply.

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au