[l2h] Fails to number figures: bogus "arguments too complex" erro r.

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Oct 26 09:50:15 CEST 2005

Hi John,

On 20/10/2005, at 7:59 PM, John Blackburn wrote:

> The commands
>

>> \newcommand{\rms}{{\protect\footnotesize rms}\protect~}
>> \newcommand{\peak}{{\protect\footnotesize peak}\protect~}
>>

> do not work either.

Yes, OK.

It is only the \footnotesize  that is causing the problem.
Replace it with \small , \tiny, \Large, \scriptsize, etc.
and it should work fine (with the \protect ).

Now here's why:

When the .aux file is read, each line is filtered through coding
that includes these lines (from the  latex2html  Perl script):

                     #footnote markers upset the numbering
                     s/\\footnote(mark|text)?//g;

This matches, so removes, the \footnote but leaves 'size' behind,
as if part of the caption text.

Here's a simple fix:

Replace the latter line by:

                     s/\\footnote(mark|text)?\b//g;

where \b denotes *word boundary*.

Now my advice about using \protect  should always work
with figure/table-captions.

> Here is the smallest LaTeX file which shows the bug

Thanks. This helped me build up examples to isolate
and trap this pesky bug.

Hope this helps,

     Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au