[l2h] Inline math cropping

Jean-Pierre.Chretien Jean-Pierre.Chretien at cert.fr
Wed Feb 25 09:33:22 CET 2004

>>Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:36:07 +0900 (JST)
>>From: Shigeharu TAKENO <shige at iee.niit.ac.jp>
>>To: latex2html at tug.org
>>Subject: Re: [l2h] Inline math cropping
>>
>>shige 02/25 2004
>>----------------
>>
>>In article <200402190837.i1J8bUl28313 at cressida.cert.fr>
>>Jean-Pierre.Chretien at cert.fr (Jean-Pierre.Chretien) wrote:
>>
>>[snip: .pnm image has extra space below, and .t02 image would be fine]
>>
>>I think the image may have lower part of usual baseline (Ex 'j',
>>'g'). In the case, the image will be made with a little extension
>>toward to bottom in order to include the equation in the image.
>>So, "inline equation is not aligned on the baseline of the text"
>>is usual situation in that case.

The math latex code is "... $3 \times 3$ matrices..." which has no
lower part.
While setting up a simplified example file, I tested it with Netscape 4.8
instead of my usual browser (Mozilla 1.5). Alignment is OK, but
the grey background is visible.

In fact one of the reasons to shift to Mozilla is that it could deal correctly
with transparent png, but it clearly does not understand
the align=MIDDLE alignment directive in the tag.
Is this a known problem ? Did I miss something in the preferences ?
Is it Solaris-Sparc specific ?

So this seems also an issue for the browser point of view:
 - with Netscape 4.8, the alignment is correct, but the grey background
of the png is visible (I would like to stick to png);
 - with Mozilla 1.5, the aligment is uncorrect, but the transparency of
 the png is correct.

As the original code and the two snaphots are quite small,
I think I may attach them, I've added a second inline with a lower part.

>> [snip: patch to control use of .t02 file with a Perl variable]

Thanks a lot for this patch, I will check if it is OK for the
whole document in question, which has a lot of inline math.
If I understand correctly how the code works, it is normal to
have extra space below because it allows to get a correct alignment
of the formulas with align=MIDDLE. Thus I guess that forcing cropping
may solve the particular problem I mentioned, but may make worse
other formulas (with integrals e.g.).

I'll keep the list posted on this.

Regards, and thanks agian for investigating the code.

--
Jean-Pierre