[l2h] Inline math cropping

Shigeharu TAKENO shige at iee.niit.ac.jp
Wed Feb 25 10:40:10 CET 2004

shige 02/25 2004
----------------

In article <200402250833.i1P8XMl22420 at cressida.cert.fr>
"Jean-Pierre.Chretien" <Jean-Pierre.Chretien at cert.fr> wrote:

> The math latex code is "... $3 \times 3$ matrices..." which has no
> lower part.

I understand your problem by your latex code.

> So this seems also an issue for the browser point of view:
>  - with Netscape 4.8, the alignment is correct, but the grey background
> of the png is visible (I would like to stick to png);

It is well-known problem. Netscape 4.X can display PNG image, but
can not deal with transparency of PNG correctly.

>  - with Mozilla 1.5, the aligment is uncorrect, but the transparency of
>  the png is correct.

Perhaps it may be a bug of Mozilla, but I don't know well.

> If I understand correctly how the code works, it is normal to
> have extra space below because it allows to get a correct alignment
> of the formulas with align=MIDDLE. Thus I guess that forcing cropping
> may solve the particular problem I mentioned, but may make worse
> other formulas (with integrals e.g.).

I understand. Certainly, my patch will occur some troubles, so
you may not use it. Thank you.