[l2h] eepic with latex2html

Paul Jolly paul at myitcv.org.uk
Tue Feb 24 14:09:23 CET 2004

Paul Jolly wrote:

To reply to my own reply to myself:

> To reply to myself:
>
>> I haven't been able to find any reference to this topic in the
>> archives so please excuse me if the answer is obvious.

[...]

I create .fig figures that use LaTeX macros defined in my main document.
(XFig has this 'special font' mode where the text contents are designed
to be interpreted by the LaTeX parser). Hence why I need to convert to
eepic (and can't go straight to eps) and use an \input command.

But latex2html can only handle eps graphics. So, using the attached
files do the following:

$ fig2dev -L eepic test.fig > test.eepic
$ latex test.tex
$ dvips test.dvi
$ ps2epsi test.ps test.eps
$ latex test2.tex
$ latex test2.tex
$ dvips test2.dvi

The results seen in test2.ps are exactly as one would expect. The even
better news is that a subsequent:

$ latex2html test2.tex

works a treat.

All of this can of course be neatly achieved in a Makefile.

So we simply need to define a header and footer template (that will wrap
an \input{test.eepic} command) that contains the macro definitions as
would be seen in the main document. This is easily done. For this simple
example the header (test_header.tex) is:

\documentclass{minimal}

\newcommand{\dashlinestretch}{0}
\usepackage{epic,eepic}
\def\Test{This is a test}

\begin{document}

...and the footer (test_footer.tex) is:

\end{document}

So the first latex command in fact takes its input from standard input,
namely:

cat test_header.tex; echo "\input{test.eepic}"; cat test_footer.tex

Quite a large hack, but it does work :-)

Paul
--
Department of Computing, Imperial College London
http://myitcv.org.uk/