[l2h] changing to 24 bit color depth of images/ keeping existing jpg images?

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Tue Feb 24 10:51:56 CET 2004

Hello Jorgen,

On 24/02/2004, at 7:51 PM, Jorgen Johansson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got rid of some of the problems with the image
> processing my self:
>
> Conclusion:
> Image conversion/scaling of images works fine on win
> XP as long as:
>
> 1) The .tex  and the image files are on the same
> partition
>
> 2) one specifies relative paths i.e. without using the
> drive letter in the  Latex include graphics command.
>
> 3) have a file extension in the include graphics
> command.
>
> There is a very peculiar thing when the full path
> including drive letter is used in the \includegraphics
> command, e.g.
>
> \includegraphics[clip,scale=0.2]{c:/path_to_image/image.jpg}

When your image is a .jpg , and its not so large as to be
prohibitive to view via the web, then you don't actually
need to use \includegraphics .
The \htmladdimg  command, from  html.sty , is often a better
command to use. You can specify size and alignment for
the way the picture is to be shown in your HTML pages,
quite independently of how the image is handled in a typeset
LaTeX version of your document.
No processing at all is done on the image, so nothing
can go wrong.

%begin{latexonly}
\includegraphics[clip,scale=0.2]{c:/path_to_image/image}
%end{latexonly}
\htmladdimg[align=right width=400 height=300]
    {rel_path_to_image/image.jpg}

where the rel_path_to_image needs to be relative to where
the HTML page will ultimately be located.
(e.g.  ..  if the image is in the same directory as the
  source and you are just using default locations.)

> then the resulting image is not scaled but resized by
> L2H to the size specified in the "image.bb" and
> resized image is in grayscale, whereas as the original
> was in color.

If there is a platform-specific problem, then just use
  \htmladdimg  to avoid it.

> In the case the tex source and the image files are on
> separate partitions, maybe the variable $GRAPHICS_PATH
> that could be set to take care of the problem?

If you are using a  \graphicspath  command in your LaTeX source,
then this could help find a .eps version of your image.
Afterall, it is just normal LaTeX processing that is taking
place when you use  LaTeX+dvips+Ghostscript  to resample the
image from an \includegraphics  command.

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114