[l2h] Poblems with installation

Darrell Ryan darrell at ryan-usa.com
Wed Jul 30 00:06:45 CEST 2003

Pablo:

You are trying to install an old version of LaTeX2HTML so you should probably go get the latest one, however, you will most likely still have the same problem.  I experienced the exact same problem recently on a Win98 installation and for some reason using the -debug command line switch caused the test.bat to complete correctly.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if this resolves this particular issue for you.  Once installed, all my existing stuff converted without a glitch.  No need for -debug on those.  Oddly enough, it just seemed to be necessary for test.bat to complete successfully.

Also are a few other known weird happenings when running LaTeX2HTML on Windows.  Errors conmverting images and what not..  I have copied and pasted here from another email I sent out some time ago, some suggestions that you may want to consider implementing if you run into any further trouble.  Some of these recommendations are surely not necessary, but this is what consistently has worked for me on both NT and 9x.  YMMV.

Darrell

****************
1.  Don't use the same temp folder as the operating system does.  Make a new
temp folder, \l2htemp or somesuch, for l2h's exclusive use.  Modify
prefs.pm accordingly.  I am using drive F:

$prefs{'TMPSPACE'} = 'F:\\l2htemp';

2.  Also in prefs.pm, make the target directory name l2h.  From your log, it
appears you have already made this mod:

$prefs{'PREFIX'} = 'F:\\l2h';

3.  Find the local initialization file, dot.latex2html-init.  It's in the
same folder as prefs.pm.  If left alone, this will definitely be a problem
(if not now it will be later, so fix it now.)  The "dot" is a result of NT's
inability to correctly parse the filename during decompressing of the
archive.  L2h thinks this file is named .latex2html-init (with leading
period instead of "dot").  I am assuming that 9x will similarly parse this
filename
incorrectly, but even if it is correct you want to rename it.  Leading
periods in filenames can sometines wreak havoc with DOS command
interpreters.  Rename it to something command.com can properly dealt with,
e.g. l2hinit is what I use.  It is
necessary to inform l2h of the change, obviously.  Before running
config.bat, modify the l2hconf.pin file, which during execution of
config.bat is built to l2hconf.pm.  This is the global config file for l2h.

# Local initialization files are usually named  .latex2html-init
# this name is hard-coded as the default with the latex2html script
# It can be changed here, if desired:
#
# $INIT_FILE_NAME = '.latex2html-init';

Do not just uncomment and change this last line from '.latex2html-init' to
'l2hinit'.  That won't work.  Instead, just leave that line commented and
add this new line:

$INIT_FILE_NAME = $ENV{'L2HINIT_NAME'} || 'l2hinit';

4.  Change the default image type from png to gif.  Not really necessary,
but recommended since many browsers do not correctly render transparent
png's.  Although it may appear that l2h is not correctly rendering a
transparent png, it is actually the web browser that is the culprit.

Note:  some test.bat's have been known to fail (ie not successfully convert images)
if step #4 is not taken.

make this
mod either in l2hconf.pin (before running config.bat) or directly to
l2hconf.pm (after running config.bat):

@IMAGE_TYPES = qw(gif png);

The default has the order reversed, i.e. qw(png gif).  Also be sure this
line is not commented out.

5.  Run config.bat.  If execution seems to stop while checking dvips, just
hit enter a time or two and it will resume.

I noticed from your log that l2h was successful in recognizing GS:

checking for gswin32c... C:\GS\GS7.04\BIN\gswin32c.exe
checking for ghostscript version... 7.04

Many people on Wintel (myself included) will instead get:

checking for gswin32c... no
Warning: Will not be able to generate images due to above failure.

...and similar errors for the netpbm utilitites because we choose not to
have all that stuff in our path.  In case you didn't know, the prefs.pm mod
that takes care of this without having to put GS and netpbm in the path is:

$prefs{'EXTRAPATH'} = 'F:\\gs\\gs7.04\\bin;F:\\netpbm\\bin';

...your paths may vary according to where you installed GS and netpbm,
obviously.

6.  If all's OK in config.log, run test.bat.  See if your errors go away.

7.  Look at test output with your browser and verify the mathematical
formulae display correctly.

8.  Run install.bat.  Consider placing the l2h\bin folder in your path, so
you can later run latex2html.bat from any directory.  You may also wish to
keep that l2hinit file discussed earlier (for some reason it did not seem to
copy over to the install directory.)  It doesn't really need to go there per
se, but you will probably want to keep a copy of it _somewhere_ before you
remove the expanded archive files that you ran the install from (which are
now safe to delete since it is already "installed" at the destination
folder.")  Copies of l2hinit can be modified and placed accordingly to
facilitate different local configurations (e.g. unique to each project,
person, etc.) without having to all the time modify the l2hconf.pm, which
applies global settings _before_ parsing l2hinit.