[l2h] Top of images are not cropped

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:58:40 +1100 (EST)

> I use latex2html to produce png images, but it doesn't crop the top of
> the images enough.
>
> I would like latex2html either to have a switch for setting the -crop
> argument which pstoimg uses, or that the default for "crop to minimum
> size" (line 3592 in version $Id: latex2html.pin,v 1.70 2002/08/22
> 15:14:08 RRM Exp $) was $crop{$name} = "blrlt" instead of $crop{$name} =
> "blrl".

I think the intenion here is to first crop away the cropping bars,
via the  b and l , then remove extra space on the left and right,
since TeX has centered the environment's contents on the printed page.
In HTML that extra space is not needed.

There is not t cropping, because the cropping-bar at the left-hand side
was initially placed to be the correct height for the environment;
similarly there is no second b crop after the bars have been removed.

> What should I do in the meantime?

The best answer is surely to determine what is creating the extra
space that you are trying to remove.
It *should* be the \abovedisplayskip  or  \abovedisplayshortskip
parameter in TeX.
If this is so, then try putting code such as:

\begin{imagesonly}
 \AtBeginDocument{\abovedisplayskip=0pt \abovedisplayshortskip=0pt}
\end{imagesonly}

into the document preamble, assuming that  \usepackage{html} has been
used earlier in the preamble.

> I tried to use mogrify, but it has problems with the transparency and I
> don't know how many pixels I can crop.

Yes; that's why LateX2HTML uses pnmcrop , since there's no easy way
to find out how much to crop.