[l2h] Problem with table of contents

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:04:36 +1000 (EST)

> Hi,
>
> I want to generate html-pages (with frames) from some tex-files by using
> latex2html.
> Well, it works. The only thing which is not generated correctly is the
> table of contents. The contents-frame only includes the headline
> "Contents" and nothing else. In my tex-file I have \tableofcontents, so
> I don't understand what is going wrong. In index.html I get the
> following:
>
> 	Contents
> 	<here is my first headline>
> 	<here is my second...>
> 	[...]
> 	<here is the last headline>
>
> I don't understand why l2h adds "Contents" to this list.

What version of LaTeX2HTML are you using?

These two are both old problems which I thought had been fixed
some time ago. Get the latest (2002) version from  www.latex2html.org .

> Another question which belongs to the same problem:
>
> Index.html starts with the "expand"-mode, so I have to klick "Contents"
> to get this frame. Is there a possibility to starts index.html with the
> contents-frame visible? Where can I change this behaviour? I didn't find
> an option for that. Or do I have to make changes in frame.pl?

Do you have an Index page as well ?
If you have just 2 frames then the Contents or Index is open automatically.
The frames are initially closed only when you have both.

What you can do is to click on the "Contents" button to open the
frame. Find out the name of the HTML file for this frameset,
then use this as the link that you distribute to others,
or link-to from other places.

Alternatively, you could setup index.html in that folder to be a link to this frameset
instead of to the frameset page with the indexing frames closed.

Another possibility is to have a redirect command (in HTML) to jump to that frameset page.
Unfortunately, this will cause a jump/flash in the browser as the redirect occurs,
so may not be as smooth as you would like.

Best solution of all is to have a ReWrite rule in the web-server to redirect
requests for the folder containing your site to that frameset page.

> And finally:
> Where can I change the labels of the buttons? We are in Germany, so it
> would be nice to use the label "Inhalt" instead of "Contents".

For the text, you can specify it with \renewcommand{\contentsname}{Inhalt}
just as in ordinary LaTeX, or by setting  $toc_title  within a configuration
or initialisation file --- this should be done already using Babel or german.

As for changing the button itself, this requires a new image, and making
adjustments within l2hconf.pm  (or an initialisation file) to adapt
to a new name and changed size.
Others on this list may be able to help with an image.