[l2h] Re: Latin2

Janusz S. Bień jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl
10 Jul 2002 20:15:25 +0200

I just noticed Erol's letter and Ross' answer in the archive:

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002  Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:

> > I have installed Latex2html and appropriate programs to Windows 2000 and
> > everything works fine, except the Latin2 Encoding.
> >
> > I try to use "croatian" style and to interpret it as latin2, but all I get
> > is latin1 encoding, and no special chars.
>
> You need to specify commandline options such as:
>
>  latex2html -html_version 3.2,latin2,latin2   <filename>.tex

Erol, did it work for you?

[...]

> You need to recognise the need to tell LaTeX2HTML about both
> the input and output encodings,

I still don't understand why LaTeX2HTML needs to be told in command
line about input encoding.

Nevertheless, I got the same answer but it didn't worked for me:

On 20 Jun 2002  jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) wrote:

> Thanks for quick answer.
>
> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002  Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:

[...]

> > You want to use:
> >
> > 	-html_version3.2,math,latin2,latin2
>
> No, this changes nothing.

Let me state once again my position, this time on the list:

On 29 Jun 2002  jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jun 2002  Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:

[...]

> The output is *not* an inherent feature of the document source,
> > and so altering Perl parameters to adjust the output is indeed
> > an appropriate thing to do.
>
> But simple situation should be handled in simple ways by default. A
> Latin-2 document should be coded in Latin-2 using the tag
>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-2">
>
> and a document in ISO/IEC 8859-8 should be coded in ISO/IEC 8859-8
> using the tag
>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-8">
>

> > LaTeX2HTML does recognise the inputenc options.
>
> Not in the sense described above.

Best regards

Janusz

--