[l2h] I need gif images

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:41:47 +1100 (EST)

> I used to generate html files with gif images, but now it is not
> possible. I just have made an upgrade from Suse 7.1 to Suse 7.3 and I
> have found changes in the l2hconf.pm and pstoimage files that perhaps are
> stopping the gif generation.

You can configure it to use GIF images, when installing.
Similarly there is a command-line switch for run-time use.

> żIs there any license problem? I think there are yet a lot of old
> navigators that do not recognize the png format (Actually, I have the
> Internet Explorer 3.0 in a Windows 95 system, and it does not support it).

Yes; there is a licensing issue:  see  www.burnallgifs.org

Since LaTeX2HTML doesn't have any executable code, but simply
scripts the use of other executables, then it is arguable that
there is no direct licensing problem.
However when last asked, Unisys didn't see it that way; so the default
installation for LaTeX2HTML is geared towards PNG graphics.
The option to use GIF is then up to the user.

It's a real pity that older browsers either don't recognise PNG
at all, or do not handle transparent images correctly.

> żIs it possible to create the gif files?

Definitely.
All the old coding is still available; you just need
to make the appropriate settings.

Try   latex2html --help