[l2h] Install LaTeX2HTML on Windows XP

Ulrich Diez ulrich.diez@student.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 00:56:38 +0200

Dear LATEX2HTML-installers,

When trying to install LaTeX2HTML on different Windows-Systems
(Win95, Win 98, Win2000, WinXP) according to the manual of
Mr. Luis Seidel, I always made following experience:

Install.bat and Test.bat or image-conversion in general always failed when
a release of ActiveStates ActivePerl newer than build 503 was installed.
Beneath other things, also problems with the numbering of the ps-images
occured.

Using the newer builds, e.g. the newest one (633 I think), lead to errors
and failures.
I do not know the reason for this behavior. Nevertheless I thought it was a
good idea to tell this to the newsgroup. Probably somebody else can comment
on this.

When using ActivePerl build 503 I had no problems with long directory-names
or '~' .

Another Problem was that when installing a newer version of netpbm,
png-images were created with some ugly grey backgrounds and black frames.
They also were not placed correctly.

The fix which is offered by Shigeharu Takeno helped. It can be found in the
mailing-list-archive of www.LaTex2html.org ,
Archive: 2002-07,

Yours sincerely

Ulrich Diez