[l2h] links support

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:33:04 -0500

Ross Moore writes:
 > LaTeX2HTML already inserts some <LINK ....> tags in structure documents.
 > For example, from its own manual:
 > (at http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/l2h/docs/manual/ )
 > Do these have the kind of effect that you expect ?

  The "contents" and "index" links are probably not too hard to
generate, and appearanly are among the most interesting for many.  I
managed to add support for these for the Python documentation (see the
latest development version using Mozilla with the "Site Navigation
Bar" enabled; http://python.sourceforge.net/devel/docs/lib/lib.html).
There is definately more that could be done (the sectioning support
would be nice!)

 > The reason <LINK> has not been exploited more extensively within
 > LaTeX2HTML has been lack of browser support. But if that is changing,
 > then certainly it becomes worthwhile to put some more effort into
 > providing improved support for this aspect of the markup.

  Definately.  The <link> seems potentially very nice to have in
larger documents where the HTML is generated rather than maintained
manually.

 > Definitely.
 > If you have some examples and patches to implement the markup, then
 > please send them --- either to this list, or to me directly.

  What I did was to use a modified  make_head_and_body()  that
includes the additional elements for rel="first", rel="contents" (when
present), and rel="index" (when present).  That's probably not the
best way to do it; it would be nice to have a set of variables that
could be populated with the right values, and I imagine those could be
handled automatically.  rel="last" should not be hard, but I just
passed on that since I has no idea how to get the right target.
  Note that Mozilla does not currently handle things like multiple
rel="index" links properly; it just uses the first one.  This is
covered by an existing bug report.

 > But also please comment on what is already implemented, as I'd prefer to
 > extend the existing support, rather than add a 2nd distinct implementation.

  This should not be too difficult for someone who understands more
than I about the LaTeX2HTML implementation.  But I could be wrong.  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation