[l2h] links support

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:23:51 +1100 (EST)

> is there a planned support for html401 browser-links meta tags in
> latex2html?

LaTeX2HTML already inserts some <LINK ....> tags in structure documents.
For example, from its own manual:
(at http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/l2h/docs/manual/ )

landau.ics.mq.edu.au> grep LINK Mnode*.html
Mnode10_ct.html:<LINK REL="STYLESHEET" HREF="userman.css">
Mnode10_ct.html:<LINK REL="next" HREF="Mnode14_mn.html">
Mnode10_ct.html:<LINK REL="previous" HREF="Mnode2_mn.html">
Mnode10_ct.html:<LINK REL="up" HREF="userman_mn.html">
Mnode10_ct.html:<LINK REL="next" HREF="Mnode11_mn.html">
Mnode10_ct.html:<A NAME="CHILD_LINKS"><STRONG>Subsections</STRONG></A>
Mnode11_ct.html:<LINK REL="STYLESHEET" HREF="userman.css">
Mnode11_ct.html:<LINK REL="next" HREF="Mnode12_mn.html">
Mnode11_ct.html:<LINK REL="previous" HREF="Mnode10_mn.html">
Mnode11_ct.html:<LINK REL="up" HREF="Mnode10_mn.html">

Do these have the kind of effect that you expect ?

> see http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html

This certainly has more extensive structure than last time I looked.

The reason <LINK> has not been exploited more extensively within
LaTeX2HTML has been lack of browser support. But if that is changing,
then certainly it becomes worthwhile to put some more effort into
providing improved support for this aspect of the markup.

> docbook can be converted to html including these meta tags. - mozilla can be
> used to display them in a browser interface... it's really nice.. because it
> makes scrolling to find these fscking html links to go forward/backward
> unnecessary.

> I'd be happy to hear from you if you have any plans to implement that or if
> you would accept patches which add support. - but I think it shouldn't be a
> big job and be completed in 10 minutes by someone who knows the source.

Definitely.
If you have some examples and patches to implement the markup, then
please send them --- either to this list, or to me directly.

But also please comment on what is already implemented, as I'd prefer to
extend the existing support, rather than add a 2nd distinct implementation.

> yours,
>  gpoul

All the best,