[l2h] LaTeX2HTML-2K for Win32: thanks, and a question

Alan Bridle abridle@nrao.edu
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:31:24 -0500

I have recently installed latex2html-2K.1beta and MiKTeX 2.0 on
a PC running Windows NT4, following the excellent instructions
in the guide written by Luis Seidel Gomez de Quero and Steve
Mayer (version 1.4 February 2000).  I am running ActivePerl
5.6.0.623.

The installation was straightforward (thanks to the step-by-step
instructions). I am successfully processing quite complicated
LaTeX files into HTML webs and I would like to thank everyone
who has contributed to LaTeX2HTML, and especially its Win32
implementation, for their work in producing and documenting
the package.

I have however run into one problem, which may be a minor bug,
or a misconfiguration by me.

I normally process my LaTeX files to .dvi keeping any included
.eps graphics in the same input directory as my .tex source.
When converting the same .eps graphics into .gif images,
latex2html-2K.1beta is looking for them only in the output
subdirectory (where it writes images.tex), not in the input
directory. This makes it necessary to copy the .eps input files
into the output subdirectory before running latex2html, or to
run it with $NO_SUBDIR = 1; (both work around the issue, but
running with the default settings and all of my .tex and .eps
files in the same input directory fails because latex2html
cannot find the .eps files during the image conversion step).

I would like to be able to write the output files into their own
subdirectory (as latex2html does by default), without having to
copy the input graphics into that subdirectory before running
latex2html.  I did not see this behavior when running an earlier
version of latex2html under Linux.  I am wondering if this is
a known "issue" in the current Win32 version, or whether I may
have failed to configure something correctly in my Win32
latex2html setup.

This is to ask whether anyone else has seen the same behavior
of 2k_1beta under Win32, and/or has a suggestion for a fix,
rather than the work-arounds I am now using.

Thank you in advance,

Alan Bridle
Scientist
National Radio Astronomy Observatory